There are 7 heavy letters in Arabic (
These letters are always read heavily (giving the letter quality of heaviness by elevation of the tongue), they are represented in these words:
The following three letters:
are read more softly when vocalized by kasrah, as a result, we hear that «e» sound, which is typical of soft letters. When they are vocalized by fathah or dammah, they retain their heaviness. The other four letters are itbaq:
they retain their heaviness in any case. So, when they are vocalized by kasrah the sound «e» changes to a thicker one.
There are five degrees of heavy-mouthed pronunciation:
1. When a heavy letter vocalized by fathah is followed by alif:
2. When a heavy letter vocalized by fathah is not followed by alif:
3. When a heavy letter is vocalized by dammah:
4. When a heavy letter is vocalized by sukoon:
5. When a heavy letter is vocalized by kasrah:
1. Read verses 1-12 in surah ash-Shams and find the heavy letters from the verses:
2. Read surah at-Tariq and find the heavy letters from the surah.
1. How many heavy letters are there?
2. What is al-Istiala?
3. How many degrees of heavy-mouthed pronunciation are there?